Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

My 2002 XK8 shifts flawlessly in drive. When the selector is

Customer Question

My 2002 XK8 shifts flawlessly in drive. When the selector is moved to the J-gate, I get a transmission fault message on the dash readout with a warning of reduced performance. The check engine light does not come on. What could be the problem?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com
Sounds like we may have a problem with the D 4 switch inside the shifter. There is a kick switch inside when moving to the manual side of the J gate. To be sure we will need to have the vehicle scanned for the stored fault codes. A Jag factory tool or equivalent is needed to communicate with the TCM and read the faults. Let me know.