Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

I have a 2004 jaguar x-type. My battery light came on. So I

Customer Question

I have a 2004 jaguar x-type. My battery idiot light came on. So I stopped the car , opened the hood and checked my positive and negative posts. They were tight and clean. But I burned myself on the positive terminal. A few days later I started the car and just idled it. The positive post got toasty again within 5 minutes. What in the world is causing this? Also, is it safe to drive it to town to a mechanic, that will be a*****
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com
Right now is the battery warning light on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm continuing the conversation. No the battery light is not on but it will around 30 minutes into the drive.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok we most likely have a problem with the alternator but since you mention the cables are hot we can have a positive or negative cable problem as well. We first would need to have the battery and charging system properly tested. As far as driving it to the shop it may not be wise driving it a long distance as if the alternator does in fact completely fail the vehicle can shut down. In most cases it will still put out some kind of charge. If you do drive it leave as many accessories off as possible to keep a light load on the system. Let me know.