Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

Jaguar: my 2004 x type says transmission fault and starts

Customer Question

hello my 2004 x type says transmission fault and starts out in 3rd gear It will go into reverse but when you put it in drive I think its in 3rd gear
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com
We may have a problem with the transmission control module or engine sensor causing this. To be sure we will need to have the vehicle scanned for the stored fault codes. A Jag factory tool is needed to do this but we can try a generic OBD II scan tool to see if we can read fault codes. I also see issues with water leaking into the TCM. It is located behind the driver side dash behind the fuse box. Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how much is a tcm ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please respond, with a gestamaite
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Figure a new one is about $800.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wow that's alot
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if I get a used one does it have to be flashed in ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please respond .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
let me tell you I also some time ago replaced the ecm and that worked after the specialty bolt I modified to tighten
up the ecm block connection. it lasted some months then the problem started again, I also have disconnected the battery and computer it seemed to clear out the codes and it worked for about 4-600 miles the occurred again. I while driving have stopped and disconnected the battery and then it would go ok for about 5 miles and happen again. this thing works and don't work, works an don't work, what electrical part works some times and don't work this is what has been frustrating
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please respond
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Definitely sounds electrical. Yes a used TCM will need to be programmed. We will need to get the scan done to be sure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the tcm can only be programed by the dealer ?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Dealer or specialty shop that has an equivalent tool.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
answer please
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Yes a dealer will have to program the module in the vehicle. A European specialty shop may also be able to do this if they have an equivalent tool.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you on your way over ? I will not do a telephone conversation , these are strait forward questions can I please get an answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
stop by we will smoke a bone and figure it out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The only follow up question I see is about the programming. Yes a dealer or shop that has the proper tool will need to program the TCM once it is installed in the vehicle.