peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

XJ8: my 1999 XJ8 just shuts off, while driving. The elec still

Customer Question

my 1999 XJ8 just shuts off, while driving. The elec still work (radio, lights) and the warning "Stabiltiy Control Failure" comes on along with the ABS warning light. After pulling over and turning the car off for a few minutes, it starts again and everything is fine. This shutting down happens anytime, 70mph freeway or city streets. very concerning.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
There are two common components to cause this issue here.First is the crank position sensor itself acting up needing replaced which can be difficult to diagnose in some cases as it usually wont set a fault code or the electronic ignition switch.The only way to be sure is to have the vehicle checked/tested when acting up to locate the fault.This may require a dealer or repair center to hold onto your vehicle and operate it off and on until they duplicate the issue.
Thanks Pete