Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

I have a 07 s-type jaguar. When I went to start it today,

Customer Question

I have a 07 s-type jaguar. When I went to start it today, all I got was a click then nothing. I assumed it was the battery and tried to jump it which would normally have started any car, but still nothing. Any ideas?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com
Does the vehicle power up normally when you turn the ignition ON without trying to start it? Will the shifter release from park with the ignition ON and foot on the brake?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I turn on the ignition with the key I get all the idiot lights on the dash at first then nothing. The radio and fan, etc doesn't come on though. It won't let me shift out of park with the brake pushed.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
OK I wonder if the battery has a bad cell causing it not to be able to take a charge or jump. See if the P is illuminated on the shifter. If not then that could be an issue. Try disconnecting the negative battery terminal cable and then charge the battery. While charging it check to make sure the inertia switch has not tripped. It is located behind the driver front lower kick panel. There should be a hole in the panel where you can put your finger through to depress the top of it to reset it. Once we charge the battery reconnect the negative cable and try starting. We may have to replace the battery.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried jumping it with the the battery still connected. Do I have to disconnect the negative side to charge it? Do I try to jump it with the negative side disconnected? The P on the shifter is illuminated.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
These vehicles can be difficult to jump depending on what you are using. I recommend we disconnect the negative battery cable just to perform a reset on the control modules. Then reconnect it and try jumping it again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I disconnected the negative side of battery. It reset the door locks but after reconnecting it I tried jumping with no luck. The same response, nothing.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok the battery still can be the problem. We will need a digital multimeter to perform some electrical tests like the battery voltage as well as voltage to all the fuse boxes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What if I just take the battery out and take it to Auto Zone and have them test it? Could this problem have anything to do with the doors not locking? When I disconnect the negative side of the battery and reconnect, it seems to realign the doors so they lock and unlock with the fob but when I drove it, the doors tried to lock but kept locking and unlocking. Any ideas on that?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Yes we can do that as they should be able to charge and test it to see if it has a bad cell. As far as it keep locking that can be due to battery voltage or maybe one of the latches. Lets get the battery straightened out first.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I will take it out and have it looked at. It is late here so I will do it tomorrow. How do I go about getting back in touch with you after the battery is looked at tomorrow?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Just reply back to this post tomorrow.