Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

Jaguar xtype: 2002 xtype 2.5 code p1780 messages Gear box fault

Customer Question

2002 xtype 2.5 code p1780 messages Gear box fault and cruise control unavailable. tried adjusting shift cable to clear code no luck. car runs drives and shifts good. whats my next step?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com
Does the manual side of the shifter illuminated gears 2, 3 and 4?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
only when I moved cable from under the car. additional info: Comp will not run still reads not ready or inc. speedo drops out randomly and the computer reads 0mph
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
loss of speed signal is random but computer and instrument cluster both lost at same time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only other codes are c1165 and c1175 for the rear abs sensors. I need to replace both cv axles cuz the rings are bad. I don't want to buy them if I can't fix the P1780 issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The speedometer comes back to the instrument cluster and computer if I restart the car
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok the speedometer is caused by those rings. If the module loses two or more wheel speed signals the speedometer will not work. If the cable will move underneath then the problem can be inside the shifter. We need to pop off the cable on the shifter to see f we can move to the other side of the shifter. Another possibility is the transmission control module but t is more likely the shifter or linkage causing that code.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
explain "move to the other side of the shifter"?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Meaning the side where the 2, 3, and 4 are
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is no movement in the cable for 4,3,2 from the shifter at the transmission. When driven in 2 it shifts like D. I will sheck the shifter tomorrow AM
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
That code is for the micro switch inside the shifter. As long as the cable is not binding t s most likely the shifter.