Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

Jaguar S-Type: My 05 jaguar s type 3.0l rwd engine vibrates

Customer Question

My 05 jaguar s type 3.0l rwd engine vibrates at idle and it can be felt in the steering wheel, If you take off the serpentine belt it goes away. I've already replaced both front engine mounts, thermostat, alternator, tensioner and belt to try and fix the problem and no changes. I originally did the oil pan gasket and coolant reservoir because they were leaking. I took off the mounts, compressor, alternator and lifted the engine to do the oil pan. The vibration was not there prior to the work. I've also tried repositioning the cradle and mounts multipul times with no difference, still the engine vibrates. The car has 50,000 and sits a lot. Also no check engine light or codes. I also did I fuel system cleaning on the car. I've worked on cars most my life 30+ years in shops and backyard, but this one has stumped me for 3 weeks. My last thoughts were water pump or maybe computer reprogram?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com
The vibration will totally go away if you remove the belt?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it will
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
OK first please check the oil level as if it is overfilled then the engine will vibrate like that. Then look to make sure the power steering lines, a/c lines and transmission cooler pipes are not touching the engine, frame or body causing this. all except the a/c lines need to be un bolted when you removed then pan and all run in the same general area. Another possibility is one of the accessories that was not replaced like the compressor, water pump, or idler. In most cases even if they were bad you would not really feel that violent of a vibration. Also check to see if the vibration worsens or goes away if the climate control is on or off. Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard when the climate control is on/off no difference. I also checked all power steering, ac lines and hoses, nothing touching anywhere. I also tried replacing the idler and ac compressor today with no effect. The oil level was fine also. I did notice that when you first start the car it is smooth and then after a few minutes you hear a clicking noise and then the vibration starts. So it seems like something is kicking on or engaging electronically. Also the vibration is not violent. Just a shaking that can felt in steering wheel and if u touch the engine intake manifold or any reservoirs it can be felt. I'm gonna take it to the jaguar dealer soon bc everyone I talk to about this or feels it is stumped.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
See if the electronic fan is coming on and the vibration starts. Could be the fan. Let me know.