Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

Jaguar S-Type R: I have a 2003 Jaguar S-Type R. I changed out

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Jaguar S-Type R. I changed out the battery, then the issues began. The headlights and fog lights stay on. The alarm system activates after opening the door. I insert key and it doesn't start. The fob key isn't recognized.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com
I recommend we first disconnect just the negative battery terminal cable for at least an hour. Then reconnect it and lock then unlock the driver door using the key in the driver door lock cylinder. This should reset the security system. Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had done that, but, the headlights still stay on. Also, even after inserting the key, the radio turns on, but will not start the car after position 2. The vehicle still doesn't recognize the fob key.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Will the shifter release from park with the ignition on and foot on the brake? Turn the ignition ON and look at the security light on the top of the dash. Tell me what it does.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the key is inserted and the brake is pressed, The P is illuminated, but if the brake is released, the P starts blinking. Also, the parking brake on the instrument panel is blinking faintly. The headlights and parking lights continue to illuminate even after locking and unlocking the vehicle.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok something must have gotten spiked when the battery was replaced. The lights is an indication of a power loss to the front module. I know you stated you checked fuses but we need to double check power to both sides of all the fuses in the engine compartment, trunk and passengers kick panel fuses. With the ignition on power should be present on both sides of each fuse. There are a couple that will not have power at all so let me know. Also check the inertia switch again just in case.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will be checking that this morning, but why would the headlights still be on? Throughout this whole process, the headlights, fog lights, and tail lights are on and can not be turned off.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
If the front module loses a power signal then this can happen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe this is where a should focus because I don't see any fuses that are burned.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok look again at the security light. Turn the ignition ON and look at the red security led and tell me what it does.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you are talking about on the dash display, it doesn't do anything. There is faint blinking of brake and oil light. Information display says nothing.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The security light is a red led at the top center of the dash. Let me know what it does.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't do anything. No red light on or blinking.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not getting any light on the security light on the dash. I tried doing the same thumb with my 2001 Jaguar S-Type to get the same results, but the 2001 started right up after changing out the battery and resetting the security. I'm really perplexed on this issue. I don't want to take it to the Jag dealer tomorrow, can I get some other remedies to this external lights issue after reconnecting the battery?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok since the cluster is not even powering up normally it does sound like a voltage issue. This is why we need to check voltage with a meter to all fuses. Also look in the trunk for a two wire white connector that is not plugged into anything. Make sure this is not damaged like being trapped under the battery.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I saw that wire, I moved it out of the way. My concern is, I have read back on another guy that had the same problem who had asked you about the exact same problem, but there was never a resolution.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I will stay with you for as long as we need. It really does sound like a voltage problem as the cluster should power up when we turn the ignition on. This is why I recommend checking voltage to all fuse boxes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You don't think that this could be a security issue that locks up the car to where it is inoperable and I'm forced to take it to the Jaguar Dealer Service leeches?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No the security will prevent the vehicle from cranking but it will still power up and all accessories would work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The radio still works, the navigation works, but the air doesn't not will it start after position 2. What I can't understand is why the external lights are all powered on. I've never seen that. I'm having to disconnect the negative battery every time to keep it from draining. What would activate the lights after reconnecting the negative battery cable? The lights don't even power off after the security is bypassed. Am I going to have to check every fuse with a meter? I will have to buy one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What I meant to say was that the air doesn't work nor does it start after position 2, everything just goes dark.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
That is what I recommend. It really sounds like a voltage loss. If we are sure the battery is fully charged and the inertia switch is not tripped we need to check voltage with a digital meter. Please go over again the battery and cable connections.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm to check every fuse as well as every relay? So engine compartment, passenger side fuse box, and trunk?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
By checking for power we would also check the relays. Yes all fuses that you can check in the trunk, engine compartment and kick panel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So, other than checking the fuses and relays, there just isn't an easy answer to why the external lights are not shutting off? I'm a bit scared on playing with electricity, especially when all the lights are on. Its eating up the battery, I won't get a good reading since all the juice is being consumed by the headlights, fog lights, and brake lights.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
We should put a charger on the battery to keep the voltage steady.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've checked the fuses. No issues to any of the fuses.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
So all fuses have 12 volts on both sides. There should be fuses that will not have power unless that function is being used. Can you turn the ignition ON and send me a picture as to what the cluster looks like.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The instrument cluster does not come on.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok this tells me the cluster is not getting power. PLease go back to the battery and go back over the cable connections. Then go back to these fuses in the primary fuse box in the passenger side kick panel to make sure we have good voltage to both sides. If all is good then we have a wiring harness problem. Fuse #4 (5 amp), #13 (5 amp) and #20 (10 amp. First do the test with the ignition off and tell me which ones have power. Then turn the ignition ON and tell me which ones have power.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im going to check on that today, but are you familiar with the the vehicle going into immobilizing mode to where there is nothing I can do other than flashing the ECM? We have to troubleshoot on why it doesn't recognize the fob key.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The remote is controlled by the driver door module hut the actual security system for starting is between the ECM and instrument cluster.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took the vehicle to the Jaguar dealer, they told me that their computers can not communicate with the cluster. They are wanting me to replace the cluster which is $1500, just to troubleshoot it. Can the cluster not be flashed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I not get another used cluster just to test the cluster to see if it works on the STR?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
A used cluster can be installed as it will power up when we turn the ignition ON. It will not be able to start as it must be programmed by Jag and two keys will most likely be needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm about to take possession of the vehicle because they are not going to use a used instrument cluster, if the Jag service center won't use it, how can I get them to program it so I can try it? Can out be done out of the vehicle?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It can only be programmed installed in the vehicle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there something I can purchase so I can reprogram or flash it on my own? Seems of they are going to charge me 1500 for a new cluster, is farther invest that kind of money on my own software and hardware.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You would need a Jag factory tool or equivalent like an auto enginuity tool which are also costly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just got my STR back from the Jag dealer, I really don't know what to do next.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You will need to find a European repair shop that may have the equivalent software. You can also try installing a used cluster yourself. If it powers up normally then we know it is the cluster. If it still does not power up then it is something else.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, time to buy a used cluster. I'll get back to you when I install it. It has to be an STR cluster, correct? Also, Im to just turn it on, not start it, correct?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Yes it will need to be a stype R. It will not start but if you just turn the ignition ON it should power up as normal. If it does not then the problem is not the cluster.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I installed the used cluster, it wasn't for an STR, but but i is for an S-Type. It did power up though. I went and reinstalled the bad cluster, and I had the same problem, nothing, then I reinstalled the replacement cluster, and everything came on, even showing the mileage of the original vehicle it came out of. Even my fob key works again.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok great. The problem is that the keys need to be reprogrammed to the cluster.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually the cluster needs to be reprogrammed to the ECM.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Yes the cluster and keys will need to be programmed.