Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

Jaguar X-type: there, I have a 2004 Jaguar X-type 2.1 v6.

Customer Question

Hi there, I have a 2004 Jaguar X-type 2.1 v6. I have been getting a fuel related issue that goes like this; The vehicle starts and drives but after a few minutes the vehicle loses power and goes into what seems like limp mode. The only way to get going again is to pull over, switch off and restart the car which will allow it to cycle again allowing another few km of driving until the problem comes again.
I have installed a fuel pressure gauge and notices fuel pressure drops to 20psi or below when this phenomenon happens. I also checked the voltage at the fuel pump when it is happening but shows battery voltage at that time and i can still hear the pump running. My question is would it be the fuel pump driver, the fuel pump or a fuel pressure regulator fault considering all these variables?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com
When the problem occurs do any warning lamps turn on? Does the engine actually stall or does it just go into a fixed engine speed and you cannot accelerate?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard,Initially there was a battery lamp on, but that was attributed to a loose battery connection and i dont think that correlates with this problem since it hasnt reappeared and the problem persists. With regards ***** ***** second question it goes into a fixed engine speed. Doesnt stall.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok this sounds more like an issue with the in tank fuel pump since some pressure and voltage was present when the problem occurred. Unfortunately in order to replace the pump the fuel tank will need to be removed for access.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And the cyclic nature would be a repercussion of that - bad intank fuel pump? Meaning when switching off car and restarting, Pressure is good for sometime until the problem reoccurs.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Yes that is the characteristics of a bad pump.