Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

Jaguar Daimler Super V8: I bought a 2001 Daimler Super V8 3

Customer Question

I bought a 2001 Daimler Super V8 3 months ago. After driving a few hours the gearbox would stay in lower gears. I took it to my Jag service experts and they changed the battery. For a few days the same would happen and eventually the gearbox went and I had a recon unit fitted. After a few hours, same again and the garage changed the Trac control unit. As,e again. Next was a computer reset. Same again. Next they changed the Throttle Body. Same again. Today they fitted a new Brake switch and said this was 99% guaranteed to solve - 2 hours later same again. They now want to change the gearbox ECU. Apart from the heartbreaking fact that I have not had any pleasure from the car in 3 months, of which half the time it has been with the garage, what on earth could be the problem?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com
When the problem occurs I assume multiple warnings are coming on? Do you know what the stored faults are present in each control module.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No warnings come on and none show in the control module. The only time a fault light showed was for the ABS/TRAC and the Trac Control was changed.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
So the transmission just does not shift? Does it stay in one gear and you can't accelerate?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It starts by changing up later. Then it will stay in third to around 3000 RPM and then it will just stay in 1st/2nd. Gearbox gets hot of course. The next day it will work fine and then get a bit lumpy and after an hour or so the same.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Ok I wonder if we have a wheel speed sensor issue. I recommend we check for any looseness in the rear wheel bearings You will always have slight movement when the vehicle is jacked up and you try and move the wheel checking for play. I also recommend we remove the rear wheel speed sensor to make sure the relict or ring is not loose or can move without the hub spinning. If the gearbox fault does ever come on there should be fault codes stored. Let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But why would this only evidence itself after driving for one or two hours?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
I was thinking it could be temperature related after driving for a while.