sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Jaguar XJ-6, Series III: We have an '87 Jaguar XJ-6, Series

Customer Question

We have an '87 Jaguar XJ-6, Series III,4.2L,77,000 Orig. Miles. Returned from Arizona winter and took Jaguar out of storage. Upon starting we discovered the engine had a noisy lifter. Am looking for an estimate of what a repair would cost and what needs to be done. I have a very good Jaguar mechanic but would like to have an idea what is involved chasing down the cause of this noisy lifter and what needs to be done to solve this problem?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

To inspect the lifters what would need to be done is remove the valve cover and feel each one to see if any have play or are mushy when pressed down. A ticking lifter is often loose or mushy, but it isn't unheard of for one to make noise but appear ok.

What would need to be done to replace the lifters is remove the valve cover, remove the cams to expose the lifters and then they can be removed. Some special tools are required to deal with the cams and it's a fairly involved job but it isn't really major. It calls for 4.1 hours to replace the lifters. Price will vary depending on where the parts come from, I'm showing $65 each for factory lifters.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, It is hard to rate this advice until I actually have a chance to try what you have stated. I should be able to get to this next week and then will have a better idea of the worthiness of the info. Thanks and I will answer as soon as I get to explore this fix.

Brian Reiss

Let me know if you need any more help.