Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

Jaguar Vandem Plass: Having electrical problem with 2004 Jaguar

Customer Question

Having electrical problem with 2004 Jaguar Vandem Plass 4.2 liter, 6-speed transmission. I have had several things done to the car over the past 2 week. Replaced air suspension with springs, had transmission pan and gasket replaced, and oil pan and gasket replaced. About 20 mile and two stops after the transmission work (last thing done) the car would not start. Engine would not turn over, dash went blank although power still on in car. After fiddling around the battery terminals the car started and I drove it home. During this drive the engine light came on. Next morning car would not start. Same symptoms - engine will not turn over, dash board blank. I went to Autozone and got a diagnostic reader. Code reader showed P1638 CAN Link ECM/INSTM Circuit/Network. I put a meter on battery and it showed 12 volts not running. After doing some research and calling the mechanics that had worked on the car I decided to go under the car and check wiring around transmission. I found the cable going to the sensor in back of transmission not well secured so I put a few new bolts in the brackets to secure the cable and sure a ground. The car started. I thought I had fixed it. I reconnected Autozone diagnostic reader to clear the engine code and the dash went blank again. The car will not start again. Not sure where to look next.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com
Can I have your VIN? When the engine will not start will the shifter release from park with the ignition on and foot on the brake? Any warnings displayed on the message center?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have VIN handy but it is a 2004 Vandem Plass XJ series, 4.2 liter engine, 6-speed transmission. The shifter does release and can be moved to all position The dash board cluster is blank - no power, therefore, nothing is displayed. The engine light did come on just prior to this issue. These notes are consistent to with my prior description.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok we may have a problem with the instrument cluster. On the early VIN XJ there were some issues with the electrical connector pins. This can cause your problem but we will need to know what all the faults are in all the modules. If you have a digital multimeter we can perform some electrical tests but only when the problem is present.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please tell me what type test to do. I do have a digital meter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
found VIN SAJWA74C44SG30557
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok when the problem is present with the ignition off ohm out pin 6 to pin 14 of the DLC where you plugged in the scan tool. We should read a resistance value. Then set the meter to dc volts. Remove the black negative lead and place it on a good ground. Turn the ignition ON and we should read a voltage. Switch the red lead to the other pin and read the voltage. Do this when there are no problems so you see what the good values are. We should read about 69 ohms and the voltages should be about 2.7 and 2.3.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will do this but I don't know what is telling me or what to do if I find X condition. Your comments do not give me enough information to go through a problem solving tree. This is the first time I have used this service. I had hoped I would get an description of several electrical components and connection to check and description of what to do if I found X or Y or Z electrical issue.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Basically we are checking the integrity of the vehicle CAN which is the communication network. It has two 120 ohm resistors which is why we would read 60 ohms at the OBD II connector. If we read 120 then we may have an intermittent wiring problem or problem with the cluster. It will be very difficult to diagnose without a Jag factory tool but I suspect a problem with the cluster or wiring which is why we need to perform the tests.