Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

Jaguar 2000 xj8 base: I think the hood cable on the passenger

Customer Question

I think the hood cable on the passenger side is broken. How can I get the hood open for maintenance.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I’m Juan and my goal is to help you solve your car issue. Just came on line and noticed your question had not been answered.
As these vehicles get older, issues like the one you're experiencing start to happen. Here is a step by step guide on how to open the bonnet on your 2000 XJ8:
Bonnet Latch Procedure
Jaguar XJ8 1998 – 2003.
This document only covers a procedure to manually activate the Bonnet Latches if the interior bonnet lever does not allow the bonnet of the vehicle to pop up on the rear corners of the bonnet.
DO NOT CLOSE THE BONNET UNTIL PROPER OPERATION IS VERIFIED
This procedure does not cover integrity of the interior bonnet lever, condition of the driver side or passengers cables, and the latch mechanisms. After the bonnet is opened inspect the cable connection to the bonnet latch mechanism to ensure the end of the cable is properly attached to the latch trigger. Be sure to observe that each latch is operating properly each time the interior bonnet lever is pulled and released.
Several situations can exist:
1. Driver and passenger Bonnet Latches will not open.
(This could also be a problem with the inside Bonnet Lever or cable connection)
2. Driver side Bonnet Latch will not open but Passenger side operates.
3. Passenger side Bonnet Latch will not open but Drivers side operates.
Always have the interior Bonnet Lever pulled out when using the procedures outlined.
The pressure from the side that is operating properly will generally assist in releasing the stuck latch once you trip the stuck latch
To manually open the Driver side Bonnet Latch:
If both latches are stuck always open the driver side first
- Remove the Driver side wheel
- Remove the “push in” fasteners for the plastic wheel well shield.
- As a reference locate the fastener hole that is about at 1 O’Clock
- Measure about 1 ¾ inches from this fastener toward the rear of the wheel well.
- Drill a hole ½ - ¾ hole (The metal is thin so do not put a lot of pressure as you drill)
- Use a rigid tool with about a 5 inch reach and no more than 5/16 inch diameter (a screw driver or metal rod)
- Keep the tool used about parallel with the ground / upper fender edge and probe with the tool pushing toward the windshield until you feel something move a little. Then Push, it should move about ½ inch may be more.
- The Driver side should pop up
To manually open the Passenger side Bonnet Latch:
- Disconnect the Negative Terminal / Ground on your battery ( you will be drilling in proximity of the front 12V connection and the ECM/Electronic modules)
- Remove the Passenger side wheel
- As a reference locate the Fastener hole that is about at 11 O’Clock
- Keep the tool used about parallel with the ground / upper fender edge and probe with the tool pushing toward the windshield until you feel something move a little. Then push, it should move about ½ inch may be more.
- The Passenger side should pop up
Kindly accept and rate my answer now if you think the information I've provided has helped you solve your issue. Otherwise, please reply.
Best Regards.
________________