Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

Jaguar X-Type Sport: I have an X-Type from 2001. The cooling

Customer Question

I have an X-Type from 2001. The cooling fans don’t come on when the motor runs hot or when the AC is on max.
I performed the check described in the workshop manual, which is to connect the control module to a 100Ω resistor instead of the temperature sensor, and then the fans do come on. So the fan itself is fine and the cooling module does trigger on extreme heat, just not on normal use heat.
Can this still be the well-known faulty cooling module issue and should I find a replacement module? Or should I look elsewhere?
(I did consider the temperature sensor, but since the dashboard temperature gauge does indicate the right temperature, that seems unlikely to me, or is it?)
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com
Usually it is the fan module that causes this. The ECM pulses the module which runs both fans independently. We do want to make sure both powers and grounds are present to the module. If you get a new part the entire assembly and a link harness will be needed since the part has been updated. You can install a second hand module and hopefully get a working one. Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Andrew, thanks for the reply. I’m looking at buying this second hand module http://www.ebay.com/itm/RADIATOR-COOLING-FAN-CONTROL-MODULE-Jaguar-X-Type-Fans-Switch-Unit-/271732971378?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276, but I’m not sure what you mean by “We do want to make sure both powers and grounds are present to the module.”, do you mean on the replacement part or is this something I should be checking on the existing part?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
We should check it on the existing part with a digital multimeter. Blooms that replacement part will work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have a meter, but not very versed with measuring. Which leads should I be measuring or is that described in the workshop manual?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
go to the fan module connector and with a volt meter you should have battery voltage on the brown/green and white/green and a ground on the black wire.
Set the meter to doc volts and place the black ground lead to the thick black wire then place the red lead to the thick brown/green wire. We should read battery voltage. Leave the black lead along and move the red lead to the white/green and with the ignition on we also should read battery voltage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Between my job and our new born, it’s proving hard to get out and do that work during the week, so I’ll have to get back to you in the weekend.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok no problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took a look, but I'm inside which ones you meant, so not sure if I'm looking in the right place?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
inside is supposed to be unsure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Richard, did you have a chance to look at that photo yet?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Yes that is the module that says GATE UK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I should have been more explicit, I do know that that's the module. I was asking about which wires you were referring to earlier?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Follow the wiring to the connectors clipped to the fan. Make sure we have battery power to the thick brown / green and power to the white / green wire with the ignition on. Then make sure we have ground on the thick black wire.