Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

Jaguar X-Type: 02 X-Type Manual 2.5l the car sat

Customer Question

02 X-Type Manual 2.5l the car sat for several months and I drove the car about 2 miles to a garage to replace the hood cable. Afterward, I started the engine and it died after about 3 seconds, my car has never done that before, anyway restarted the car, and it ran fine up until I was about 1/4 mile from my house on the return trip, and the car died just after I went over a set of railroad track which could be strictly a coincidence. I tried to restart it again, and it wouldn't fire. It cranks over well, but that's it.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com
I have replaced a few crank sensors for this type of issue but we should do some basic checks. We should remove a cool and plug to verify if we have good spark. We also should try spraying some carb cleaner into the air intake and have an assistant crank the engine to see if it will start and run on the spray. If so then we have a fuel delivery problem like a clogged filter or bad pump. We also should check the battery and cable connections as well as the engine air intake piping to make sure there are no issues there. Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry, I should have mentioned that I did try spraying starting fluid in the intake, and it did not react to it at all.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok good. Lets still remove a coil and check for spark to be sure as well as a visual to the intake air tubes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I verified there is no spark, and damage or restriction on the air intake tubing.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok then we may very well have a problem with the crank sensor. We also should check power on the red/white wire to the coil and ground on the black wire.