Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

I have a 1998 xj8.The abs light and stability control fail

Customer Question

I have a 1998 xj8.The abs light and stability control fail code have been on for the 4 yrs I have owned it.the car runs great but it failed emissions test today.the 2 codes are P0420 catalystsystem below threshold (bank 1)(5).Any ideas?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com
That code P0420 is usually a problem with the converter which may need to be replaced. Bank 1 is the passenger side. We should make sure the sensor connectors are clean and secure and we can try clearing the code and disconnect the negative battery terminal cable for 10 minutes to see if the code returns.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what about stability control fail code and the ABS light being on ?which has been on since I owned the car.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
That is unrelated. Could be a bad wheel speed sensor or control module. There will be separate faults stored in the ABS module which will need to be read.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome.