Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

Jaguar X-Type: " - I have a 2003 X-type with 2.5 engine and

Customer Question

"Hi - I have a 2003 X-type with 2.5 engine and 5 speed manual tranny. It appears that the timing belt has gone (bout 85,000 miles), which I'm told is common with these engines. Anyway, the quote to repair calls for 20 hours labor with pulling the engine plus the parts at about $500. My thought is if pulling the engine then lets put a 3.0 engine back in. I like the car, styling and stick shift is hard to find.
The question is - Will a 3.0 go in without other changes or major costs?
All research I've done indicates that they are the same engine except for displacement.
two people on Jaguar Forum said they did it without a hitch, just that the module should be changed. Another guy said that the only thing about the module is it needs to match the manual tranny, which of course I have in the car now. I'm told harness is the same and all other bolt-on parts, etc.
Will this be an easy change as it sounds?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com
What kind of problem did you have. I ask this because tour engine does not have a timing belt.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
chain
There's a clanging noise and loss of power. Engine does not run right.
I'm told the most likely problem with my existing motor is that the timing chain has worn out.
I don't really care about that. I just want to replace the 2.5 L with a 3.0 L without big difficulties.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Yes the 2.5 and 3.0 are essentially the same engine. The ECM should be changed but you will not be able to do that since it is a manual transmission. You should not have to do anything extra for the swap. I think the dowel pins are in a different location but they can be just moved.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ECM is the control module?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not purchased the engine yet, but they are readily available and I'm ready to shop to find a good one with low mileage or best compression, etc., but when I find one, 99 out of 100 will likely come out of a car with automatic tranny. I know that doesn't matter really, but I guess what I'm looking to confirm is that the control module in my vehicle will be OK or if I can purchase, a module from a 3.0, does it have to be from a 3.0 with manual tranny?
I guess what I'm trying to get a firm handle on is what is the difference with just using my existing control module?
Someone said that they used they're existing module from their original 2.5 L and it worked fine with the 3.0 L they installed, but the car thought it had a 2.5 L and not a 3.0 L. I mean, so what? If the car starts up and runs normal, does it matter? What's the difference?
I'm confused on that.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You need to use your current module that way it will not look for any automatic transmission info.