Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

Maybe2000 jaguar xj, took to dealer to get head light changed

Customer Question

maybe
2000 jaguar xj, took to dealer to get head light changed wouldn't start, alt gives 12 volts, battery 12 volts, only 5 volts across fuse box
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com
SO the vehicle started and ran. The headlight was replaced and now the vehicle will not start and not crank? Is it still at the dealer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It starts when you jump it but when you turn off it will not have any power to anything in the car and not start, in fact cant open the trunk without the key.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The head lite was not replaced, they were trying to put in shop to do so, but would not start. I drove it in from my home where it started fine.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok sounds like we may have an issue with the battery itself or possibly a bad connexction on one of the cables. Look closely for any cracks on the cables. We can take the battery to your local parts store who should be able to charge and test it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This happened once before and they put a charger on it over night and it ran ok until now, but why only 5 volts coming out of the fuse box when 12 volts are registering at the battery? Must be a drain somewhere???
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
That does not seem right I agree. Which fuse box and how was this checked.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The one in the engine compartment, is there another place to check?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok that power cable does come off the battery and goes through a mega fuse. This also supplies power to the trunk and heelboard fuse boxes. The fuse can be the problem or we have a bad connection there but if the vehicle will start and run with a jumper it sounds more likely the battery.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where is the mega fuse exactly and I will have them check that and the battery.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It is located in the trunk next to the battery.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks I will check it out we are complete now
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Let me know if you need anything else.