Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

Jaguar xk8: I have a 2001 xk8 that goes into " Fail Safe "

Customer Question

I have a 2001 xk8 that goes into " Fail Safe " mode and indicates "asc not available" ! Did it when I first drove it. Scanner showed it might have a Mass Air Flow sensor problem. Replaced the Mass Air Flow SEnsor with a Rebuilt by A-1. Seemed to cure the problem for a few drives. Now it is back. If you park it for 15 minutes or so it will come out of "fail Safe" mode and operate. Scanner shows two engine codes,P0172 andP0175 as well as P1000! Please Help
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com
Those are both rich codes meaning the ECM is detecting too much fuel. We should make sure we do not have any kind of blockage in the air box. Then we need to check fuel pressure as a bad fuel pressure regulator can cause this. The mass air flow sensor could be defective and I have also seen some instances with poor connections at the mass air flow electrical connector causing this.