sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Jaguar XJS 2+2: I have a 1996 Jaguar XJS 2+2 Convertible. The

Customer Question

I have a 1996 Jaguar XJS 2+2 Convertible. The Drivers Door Upper Hinge (probably the hinge pin) is worn so the door won't close smoothly, it has to bump slightly and go "Up Hill" a bit to close. With the Door "full open" the door can be "jiggled" up and down maybe 1/2".
How does one remove the Driver's Door to get access to the Upper Hinge (or Hinge Pin), it doesn't appear very obvious and looks difficult??
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
Removing the door isn't a hard process.
You'll first need to disconnect the electrical connector, the wiring runs in the boot between the door and body. There will be a connector at the body side.
Remove the bolts from the check strap to the door.
There is a bolt in the center (pivot) location on both hinges, one from the top down and one from the bottom up. While at least one helper helps support the door, remove these bolts and the door will be free.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not believe this is the case with my1996 Jaguar XJS 2+2 Convertible. On the Driver's Door Upper Hinge, the pins do not appear to be bolts, they do not have a slotted head.
I also have a 1996 Jaguar XJ6 4 Door Sedan. On this Vehicle, the Driver's door Upper Pin has a slotted head, so it looks like this may be the "bolt" you are referring to.
The XJS Driver's Door Hinge appears to be different than that on the XJ6.
Also there is no "Check Strap" on either the XJS or the XJ6 Doors.
I am not happy with your answer!!!!!
I'm working from the factory service manual for the vehicle stated.
Can you supply the VIN and a picture of what you're seeing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vin # *****: SAJNX2742TC224347.
How can I send a Photo? No way to attach here.
I am not interested in spending more $. With the indefinite answer I have, I would like my money back if that is the final answer.
You can upload a photo using the paperclip icon in the toolbar.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I answer with the "reply" (using Microsoft outlook) I can use the paperclip to attach photos (4) but when I try to "send" the e-mail as a "reply" it won't go. Mail is returned.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Photos attached
The service information describes bolts in the hinge pivots but yours has more conventional pins. The only change to the original post was that you'll be driving the pins out rather than removing bolts. The pins are visible in these pictures, the top one is already partially out.