Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

Jaguar XF Premium Luxury: Richard,I have a 2010 Jaguar

Customer Question

Hello Richard,
I have a 2010 Jaguar XF. I was doing my weekend shopping, when out of nowhere my dash says the smart key battery is low. I knew that was untrue as it has new batteries. I cut the car off to go shopping but when I got out the smart key would not lock the door. I got back inside and attempted to start the car and it said the smart key was not in the car. I inserted the smart key in its dock. The car said check smart key and spit it out. By the grace of God I got the car started and hurried home to my spare smart key and the car said the exact same thing about my spare smart key which also has a new battery. My car is now stuck in the garage as the car does nothing without the smart key. I checked the fuses and they are all good.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com
Sounds like we may have a problem with the keyless vehicle module which controls the smart key operation. Even if the module goes down the keys should still work in the dock unless somewhere along the vehicles life programming was done and they were erased. You are correct that without the smart key we really cannot do anything in the vehicle. I want us to check the vehicle network. Open the driver door and see if the jaguar logo screen appears on the touchscreen. Then look to see if the hazard switch is illuminated You may need to cover it to see this. Then see if the hazards work. If they do then our vehicles communication network is ok. It is then most likely that module. The problem is our diagnosis is limits without access to a Jag factory diagnostic machine and if any module is replaced that equipment is needed to program it.
What I also recommend is to make sure the battery is fully charged. New then can try disconnecting the negative battery terminal cable for about thirty minutes to see if the vehicle resets. Let me know.