Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

Jaguar XK8: I got a check engine light on my 2003 XK8. Diagnostic

Customer Question

I got a check engine light on my 2003 XK8. Diagnostic code 84 indicated running lean. Changed air, gasoline, oil filters and new oil. Light came back again in about 1/2 day. Also read "limited performance" sometimes. ?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com
The code should be four digits. Was it a P0171 or P0174
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did not take the reading. Local mechanic read the meter and told me the above: 84. Don't have a meter of my own and it is Saturday. Could get reading on Monday.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok unfortunately the two digit code will not do us any good. You can try going to your local parts store and use a generic OBD II scan tool to see if we can read codes. If not then please let me know on Monday. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Checked code(s) again. Came up with P0171 and P1000. Also, check engine light went out.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok that is the code I figured. In most cases it is accompanied by a P0174 and sometimes the scan tool does not read it. I recommend we check for any kind of intake or vacuum leak. Check the air intake tube, vacuum lines and connections to the mass air flow sensor on the air cleaner. If no leaks are found the sensor may be the problem.