peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

Gear shift interlock inop on 2000 XK8: Solenoid bench tests

Customer Question

Gear shift interlock inop on 2000 XK8: Solenoid bench tests fine with 12v to orange wire and black grounded. Solenoid getting around 7.5 to 8v while engine on, off, solenoid plugged in, not plugged in. Brake lights work fine. Where is the low voltage coming
from?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
The voltage signal comes from the body processor control module.If this module has an internal electrical fault this will occur here like this.I have seen in some cases where the module can fail internally and had to replace it.I would check the wiring from the solenoid to the module and make sure it is all o.k. and if found o.k. I suspect the module itself needs replaced.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete,I see several body processor modules with different part numbers, all they say are compatible with the 2000 XK8. Do they have to be programmed and if so, how? Thank you.
I apologize for the delay as I was off line the last few days.
My info doesn't show that they have to be programmed after they are installed.You want to make sure you install the correct part number so it operates properly in your vehicle.
Thanks Pete