peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

Jaguar Xj6 vanden plas: Hey Richard, I have an issue with

Customer Question

I have an issue with a 1996 xj6 with the monitors setting.
The only ones that are setting are o2 heater monitoring and EGR monitoring. The car is not giving me any codes or a CEL.
While troubleshooting I changed the air filter, cleaned MAF, installed new plugs and gapped them to factory specs per service manual. I found one of the exhaust gaskets between the cats and manifolds leaking, changed them. I also changed one b1s2 o2 sensor as it was only giving me readings at wot. The throttle cable was also lose with a lot of slack so I adjusted it.
It's not my car and I've never driven an XJ6 so I'm not sure if it is down on power. It drives well on the highway, althou it will not break the tires loose from a standatill.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
If this is an issue with getting the computer monitor to run and complete in some cases the procedure below will help with this.I have had to do this twice in some cases.If this is not what you are looking for here or if you need anything else let me know.
Cold Start
The barometric pressure (BARO) is more than 81 kPa.
The engine coolant temperature (ECT) is between (41-86°F).
The intake air temperature (IAT) is between (41-86°F).
The start-up ECT and IAT are within (16°F) of each other.
The battery voltage is between 9-16 volts.
The fuel level is between 15-85 percent.
Important: Whenever the ignition is turned ON, ignition positive voltage is supplied to the HO2S heaters. After verifying the enable criteria, turn OFF the ignition for approximately 5 minutes to allow the sensors to cool before continuing with the test. Once the engine is started, DO NOT turn the engine OFF for the remaining portion of the set procedure.
Turn OFF all of the accessories,
Set the vehicle parking brake.
Verify the transmission is in Park for automatic transmissions and Neutral for manual transmissions.
Start the engine and allow the engine to idle for 2 minutes.
Acceleration at part throttle to (55 mph) with this speed maintained until the engine reaches operating temperature. This may be up to 8 minutes depending on the start up coolant temperature.
Continued operation under these conditions for an additional 6 minutes.
Acceleration at part throttle to (45-55 mph) with this speed maintained for 2 minutes.
Deceleration to (0 mph).
Engine idling for 2 minutes while the following criteria is maintained:
The service brake is depressed.
The automatic transmission is in drive.
The manual transmission is in neutral with the clutch pedal depressed
Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete