Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

Jaguar S-type V8: Since I first bought my Jag, I've got a "T

Customer Question

Since I first bought my Jag, I've got a "Transmission Fault" signal. The car goes into emergency limp home mode, but I can fix it easily, if temporarily: I turn the engine off and start it again, and it has reset. The car has 76000 miles, and performs perfectly except for this one problem.
Here's what I've found out:
I took it to my mechanic and he opened the transmission and cleaned it out but replaced no parts. He drove it for a while and said it was working fine. But soon after I got it back, the same problem began occurring again.
A complication: my mechanic didn't like spending $500 for transmission fluid, so he put in a different fluid that he said met the specs and had performed well in other vehicles.
I've since found that the problem occurs only when the engine/trans is warm--like, when it's been shifting a lot or driven some distance. 30-minut highway trips, no problem.
I've also had another shop check the codes. Here they are: P0829, P1582, P0105.
Any ideas?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
What year and model Jag? Were these codes checked after the gearbox fault warning came on?