Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years experience

Jaguar XJ8L: do you have any idea how to override the trunk

do you have any idea how to override the trunk release for a 2006 XJ8L with a dead battery. The key will not open the trunk. Hear it clicking but will not release. The key fob is not releasing anything and neither will the boot's button or interior button.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Jerry replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome. Thank you for trusting us with your vehicle concerns, I will do my best to help you with your question.

.

Normally we will use a jump box that plugs into the cigarette lighter to power the vehicle to get the trunk opened. If one is not available then you could jump it to the fuse box, (in the car) terminal "BATT" and any metal for a ground. That will also power the vehicle up enough to get the trunk to open.

.

graphic

.

If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

.

Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

How do you "jump it" to the fuse box in the car terminal "Batt" and ground? Where is the fuse box located inside the car? We do not have a jump box

Expert:  Jerry replied 10 months ago.
You will need some type of power source, like a jump box. Possibly jumper cables from another vehicle or battery. Then the positive to the "BATT" terminal in the passenger junction fuse block, located under the dash on the passenger side, and the negative to the door hinge for a good ground.
.

graphic
.

Please remember that it is not my fault that the battery is dead, or the fact that you don't have a jump box, thanks

.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

OK - so using Jumper cables...got the negative to the door hinge - regarding the positive to the trunk fuse box - what should we specifically clip onto? The sides or...? please specify (please don't get defensive...I just do not know what you are referring to)

Expert:  Jerry replied 10 months ago.
No problem Kathleen. You just want to go to the metal stud/nut in the passenger junction box, (in the car on the right side, under dash) and the positve cable or wire goes there. The negative, (black) cable or wire will go to the door hinge or any metal on the vehicle.
.

.

Thanks

Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master tech, 30 years experience