JagDoc
JagDoc, European Shop Owner
Experience:  20 years of experience working with Jaguars. Independent European shop owner and technician.
14582033

Jaguar Vanden Plas: 1997 xj6 vdp. transmission lite on. after

1997 xj6 vdp. transmission lite on. after driving 5-10 miles the instrument display starts flashing everything and car bucks and needs to be shifted manually to keep going. is this a trany module issue and the instrument cluster reaction apart of "limp home mode" . or is it issue with both tranny and IM module.
Where to start? ??replace trany module first or spend the money getting a Jaguar diagnostic done??
All these modules are hooked together and old fashioned point to point diagnostics are useless.

JagDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

JagDoc :

Ok, I see that you posted your question about 45 minutes ago.

JagDoc :

I'm going to hold live chat open for a bit to see if you join, so I can get some more information from you if possible

JagDoc :

Now right now, you've just had a generic OBDII scan done?

JagDoc :

Still holding in hopes that you can join

JagDoc :

converting to email format now. Please don't rate yet. I'd like to know what scans you've had done so far

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi I'm Here. Yes GENERIC OBD2 scan was done a while ago. I don't have the exact code but it was a nondescript transmission code and unhelpful.

Ok, so some sort of P070x code, I assume.

I have my doubts that the transmission control module is at fault, given the sporadic nature of it. These transmissions have an inherent problem with a snap ring channel in the front drum, which separates, and causes symptoms like you describe.

My strongest recommendation in this case is
1) Independent Jaguar repair shop who isn't scared of automatic transmission diagnosis. These guys will have the proper equipment to communicate with the transmission control module so that proper codes can be read out
2) a good transmission shop who is familiar with the ZF 4-speed transmissions. Not only will they have the proper communications equipment, they'll know after a test drive, if the issue is internal (as I described above), or a sensor issue.

So, responding yo your original post, don't just throw a trans module at the problem. Right now, it's a blind shotgun attempt, and an expensive one, to try to fix the issue.

If you are able to provide faults codes after a scan, I can ceertainly offer further guidance.

Thanks
Jason