Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technican
Experience:  ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ years in the field. Self employed for 9 years. Member of AUTOLAB radio show.
10772012

Jaguar XK8: hi I have a 1997 jaguar xk8 with 125,000 miles

hi
I have a 1997 jaguar xk8 with 125,000 miles and for the most part it runs pretty good. Once in a while it will died at a stop lite, but start right up and run fine. I have found a mechanic that will work on the car and has done a good job for me. I am thinking of having a tune up done to the car and was wondering exactly what parts should be changed in a tune up

thanks
john
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Ivan replied 1 year ago.
Hello and good afternoon. The key item I would focus on that pertains to your momentary stalling, is having the throttlebody cleaned. A dirty throttle plate will have that result. From there, if needed, the tune up items would be spark plugs, air filter, and fuel filter. That for the most part, will comprise a tune up on your car. A dirty throttlebody is most likely the reason for the stalling.

Your JA Expert,
Ivan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was worried about spark plug wires and whether I should pay the high price from Jaguar or will parts from O"reilly's auto work

Expert:  Ivan replied 1 year ago.
Your car does not have spark plug wires. It has ignition coils that sit right on top of the spark plugs, so you do not have to worry about them. One less concern to worry about.

Ivan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what about the parts question?

Expert:  Ivan replied 1 year ago.
You can purchase them from O'Reillys. Make sure spark plugs are a good quality like Bosch, NGK, Denso, etc. Those are very good and can certainly be purchased from the aftermarket. The air filter and fuel filter are perfectly acceptable to purchase from the aftermarket as well. Just go with name brands. You can certainly let me know what your options are and I can tell you which to go with.
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technican
Experience: ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ years in the field. Self employed for 9 years. Member of AUTOLAB radio show.