Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

Jaguar XK8: Hi Anthony... I have a 97 XK8; last 6 digits of

Hi Anthony... I have a '97 XK8; last 6 digits of serial # XXXXX XXXXX there is some water damage to the ECU that is causing some error codes and I need to get it replaced... the part number on the ECU is - LJA1410GB (there are some other numbers if needed) ... here's my question- do I need an exact match to the last 2 digits (GB) or is there another compatible unit (ie- one ending in CA); I am finding that I am getting conflicting info on the net on the exact ECU I should be looking for
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

Anthony is offline right now but I should be able to help. Is there a three digit suffix at the end of that part number?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Richard ... this web site won't let me reply for some reason

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

let me try this again- I was trying to attach a picture the 1st time through.... if this works, I would like to email a pic of the codes I took from the module... here's the note I was trying to send:

Hi Richard... please find attached a pic ... the curious thing is that on one of the stickers it has a date of "2004" on it... I've only had the car for 1 1/2 years - so perhaps the original was replaced with this unit - I am wondering if that is the case, what the original ECU code actually was- I have a copy of the "New Jaguar EPC" and according to it, the code is supposed to be- LJA1410GA up to Vin # XXXXX as opposed to the one I currently have which has a "B" instead of an "A" ....

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes... the digits are 010 ... I phoned the local Jag dealer and talked to the parts department- apparently there has been a number of releases on this particlar ECU.... they indicated that as long as the 010 is the same, then LJA1410 with the following last 2 digits - GA, GB, CA, GC (and there are others) will be compatibile with my car... is this correct?

Ok I will run those numbers to see if they crossover.
The programming suffix 010 needs to be the same and the letter suffix can be a GA, GB or GC. WHen you install a replacement ECM it will not start the vehicle as an immobilization setup needs to be done with the Jag factory tool.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks... very helpful .... one more clarification - from what I have been able to determine, any of the ECM units I run across so far only have the 1 bar code "sticker" on it which only has the 9 digit main code on it, and doesn't have the code suffix ..... other than using a "reader", is there any way to tell what the programming suffix is if the unit only has that one "bar code" sticker on it (my unit happened to have a "2nd" sticker on it with the main code AND the 3 digit suffix) - which you would have seen initially if this site had let me include a picture!

Yes there is a vcats label in the trunk in the spare wheel well. It is a white label that shows the part number and programming suffix.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

one more clarification - besides the GA, GB, GC codes, would the "CA" code be compatible as well (as long as 010 was the suffix code)

Yes that CA was actually the number for a new module so that will also work provided the 010 is the same.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Richard... unfortunately the information you gave me was incorrect - the CA module that I bought did NOT work.... the local Jag dealer tried unsuccessfully for 4 hours to get it to communicate with the car and it just did not... after further investigation, they found a technical bulletin from 1997 that indicated that the 2nd last letter must also match ... in other words, the only other ones that fit the “GB” code would be GA and GC, and so on with the other code structures (and of course the programming code must also match)... since I can’t find any other ECU with those designations, I am planning to send the unit to GOecm.com so they can repair the unit... hopefully

You can also try bba-reman.com.