Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

Jaguar S-Type: my 2001 jaguar s-type starts for a few seconds

Customer Question

my 2001 jaguar s-type starts for a few seconds and shut off. I replaced the fuel pump, filter and crank sensor. I have code 1586,1573 and a failsafe engine mode. any idea how to fix this problem.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

If you hold your foot on the gas will the engine stay running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, holding foot on gas will not keep it running.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Both those codes are for the electronic throttle system which can be shutting down the vehicle.

Go to the throttle module connector which is the one on the bottom and make sure we have battery power with the ignition ON for both the green/yellow wires and ground on both black wires. Then lets go to the sensor.

On pin 10 white wire you should see 4.1V @ IDLE (DECREASING VOLTAGE WITH ACCELERATION)

On pin 2 white wire you should see 0.8V @ IDLE (INCREASING VOLTAGE WITH ACCELERATION)

On pin 1 white/red you should see 1.4V @ IDLE (INCREASING VOLTAGE WITH ACCELERATION)

Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience: 12 years at a Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Richard I followed your directions listed and all tested good. I tried placing a screw driver in the throttle to hold it open and the vehicle continues to run until the screw driver is removed. Is that signs of a defected TPS.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like that throttle controller is the problem which all comes as an assembly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I will replace the throttle body assembly which is rather pricey, but I guess that's the cost of owning a jag.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

RICHARD, I HAVE REPLACED THE GAS PEDAL, THROTTLE BODY, CLEANED MAF AND ALL ELECTRICAL CONNECTION WITH CRS CLEANERS, AND STILL NO PEDAL RESPONSE.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you perform that electrical test again on the TPS.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I performed the electrical test at the TPS and got .009v at all pins.

The is running but code 1573 and the fail safe engine code will not clear.

It looks as if the wire from the TPS connector is connecting to the alt. If so could that be the connection problem.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok that is definately not what it is supposed to be. Place the red lead of your meter to pin 4 yellow wire and the black lead to pin 7 brown wire at the throttle position sensor. Set your meter to dc volts and turn the ignition ON. You should read 5 volts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That gives me 4.89v

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok good. PLug in the throttle sensor. Remove the intake tube and have an assistant depress the gas pedal with the ignition ON and look to see if the throttle plate moves.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes it moves

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok then It sounds like a defective sensor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I replaced the TPS but got no change

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok go to pins 3 and 6 at the sensor to see if we have 5 volts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I changed the TPS again and it working now.

Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Yes it dis sound like the sensor.

GLad all is well.