JagDoc, European Shop Owner
Experience:  20 years of experience working with Jaguars. Independent European shop owner and technician.

Jaguar xk8 convertible: Hello, I have a Jaguar XK8 convertible

I have a Jaguar XK8 convertible 1996. I am in the UK.

It has been off the road for 2 years. Last week, it passed an MOT (Ministry of Transport road worthiness certificate) and since then I have driven it for 50 miles or so without difficulty.

This morning, when I started it a warning light "Battery Not Charging" warning came on and at the same time the power steering was hard - it wasn't working.

I have heard of this dual problem before, and wonder what the cause is and what needs to be done to correct it.

Thank you,

Hello, I'm Jason.
I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

Since both the alternator and power steering pumps are driven via the engine serpentine belt, I would speculate that either the belt, belt tensioner, or both have failed.