Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

Jaguar Jaguar XJ6: I have determined that I need to replace

I have determined that I need to replace the throttle sensor on my 1990 Jaguar XJ6. I can purchase a new OEM part without the cable. Is there any trick to accessing the two bolts which attach the sensor to the throttle body? Also, do the two bolts require a special tool to remove them?

Ken
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.

XtraTech :

Hi there,

XtraTech :

The Throttle Position Sensor can only be removed once the Throttle Body is removed. What cable are you referring to when you say you can buy the sensor without the cable?

Customer:

The sensor cable plugs into this three prong sensor.ORIGINAL ENGINE MGMT 9932 Throttle Position Sensor

Full Size Image
Customer:

ORIGINAL ENGINE MGMT 9932 Throttle Position Sensor

Full Size Image
XtraTech :

The TPS for the 1990 XJ6 with the 4.0 L engine looks like this:

XtraTech :

Full Size Image

XtraTech :

It is attached to the side of the Throttle Body, which needs to be removed to gain access.

XtraTech :

I'll be back online tomorrow after Noon.

Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm having difficulty getting to the four bolts which mount the throttle body to the manifold. Looks like I will need a small swiffle socket head to get around to the bolts as the flange is obstructing a straight on approach. Any others ideas?

Here are the instructions:
Remove air intake connected from air box(where air filter is),loosen rubber bellows to throttle body and remove from car. Disconnect throttle cable(be careful not to loose the 'c' clip from cruise linkage) - to unhook cable,turn back by hand,pull cable around to slot and lift up. Unplug electrical connectors. There are (4)10mm bolts you will need to remove using a swivel socket,if the 1990 has the water line attached, remove the forward side and plug it with one of the bolts(just screw it in a bit)and don't forget the rear line(you will not loose much coolant) remove throttle body,clean it with throttle body cleaner using a tooth brush,Q tips ,and clean rags. Install in reverse of removal,be sure to reconnect throttle cable before you bolt on the throttle body. There is no gasket between throttle body and intake manifold. Ensure the throttle returns to stop position.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for info.

Glad to help.