Chris(aka-Moose), Jaguar Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

Jaguar S-Type: I have a 2001 S-type 3.0 The cassette box (holder)

I have a 2001 S-type 3.0 The cassette box (holder) in the dash will not stay closed. I discovered yesterday in the forums how to remove the box, I did so this morning. It appears that there should be some sort of latch in the top of the dash compartment tunnel for the box to catch on to hold it when it is in place, but there is nothing in the tunnel that would be such a latch. What do I do now to repair this problem. I have the directions to remove the radio/cassette player module. Is there a replacement part for this?

Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

Sorry for the long wait.

Many techs have looked at your post and have not felt comfortable helping. This area of concern is not my strongest point but I will try to help as best I can at least with some information. I have access to a lot of repair guides so I should be able to at least do something to aid you if your still needing help and willing to let me try.

Once I post an answer you will be prompted to rate me, not the site or wait time, or the news in my answer. Please let me know exactly what you need from me so I can earn a good rating.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I still need the help What more information can I provide?

Once the cassette storage compartment is removed check for any broken parts theres a gear in there that breaks often, if its broken go buy another from your local dealer, make sure to tell the dealership your trim code located in your door sill. You can also get a used one by searching through
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The gears are ok, The box slides in and out correctly, it will not latch and stay in. does not list this item nor does

I guess the next stop is a dealer in the MPLS area.

This is a dealer only part, accessories like this are not sold aftermarket.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Found the small part that had fallen out when I took the dash apart. Reinstalled it and the drawer works perfectly. Wish I had saved my $29.00. No reflection on Moose, it was one of those issues that only the guy who designed the thing would have know the answer it seems.

Glad you got it resolved