Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

Jaguar XJ8: My jaguar xj8 started shifting from 2nd gear it

My jaguar xj8 started shifting from 2nd gear it don't want to statt ftom 1st gear and when I drive it it makes a hard shift with a whiplass sound
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

What year is your XJ. Is the gearbox fault warning on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

2001 yes it turns on but irs off right now

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok wjen you avcvelerate from a stop does the engine hesitate then bang into gear whhen moving forward.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes but it feels heavy because it starts on 2nd gear then it makes a vang sound when shifting to 3rd gear

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok this definately sounds mechanical and those rans had issues with the forward drums cracking. Of course the first step would be to check the fluid level and condition. We should check the fluid level and condition but it is not usually that simple of a repair. Since there is no dipstick the fluid cannot be checked easily. You will need to get your vehicle on a level surface or four post lift. Start the engine, go through each gear and warm the fluid to about 40 degrees C. There is a level/fill plug on the passenger side rear of the trans case. Remove the 8mm hex/allen plug and fluid should flow out with the engine running and fluid warmed to temp
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You don't explain on your reply what do do next after I check the tranny fluid level so I'm still on the same spot as I started!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
If the fluid level is full then the next step would be to have the system scanned for the stored fault codes. A Jag tool is needed to read the codes from the TCM. I suspect it may be a mechanical fault code like a P1722. In the end I suspect we will need to have the unit repaired but we will not know for sure until we can have the codes read.
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience: 12 years at a Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.