Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

Jaguar S-Type: S-Type Jaguar 2001, 6 cyln. (1) Shifter wont

S-Type Jaguar 2001, 6 cyln.

(1) Shifter won't go into DRIVE unless you move it to the left and back to the right. Then it will engage in DRIVE. However, it has been hesitating in going from 1st to 2nd gear and almost stalled; however, sometimes it drives marginally ok but slow to shift.

(2) I took it to a transmission shop and they said, "the shifter assembly needs to be replaced because that is what is causing the gears to not engage properly." He further stated that he moved the gears by hand it it was improved. Changing out the assembly is around $1,000.00. Further, this person said that the shifter not operating properly could "tear up the transmission."

(3)I called my Jaguar service person and he said that the shifter --once the car was in gear-- should NOT be causing the hesitant shifting between 1-2-3. That the shifter would have NO effect on the transmission's operation.

Is this true? Help! I don't want to spend $1,000 on the shifter assembly and still have the transmission issues. I have NO INTENTION of replacing the transmission and will junk the car rather than pay more that it is worth to fix. I'm confused. What should I do?

The transmission shop has been there 24 years with great reviews. He says that he can't do the shifter assembly replacement and sent me elsewhere. What is up with him?l
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

I would not replace the shifter assembly especially for that price. You most likely have a stretched cable causing the engagement problem. It can also cause poor shifting so we need to look at the shifter to make sure the D on the shifter is lite up when the problem occurs. We may also have a mechanical issue inside the unit but I would not replace the shifter.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for that. Should I ask the Transmission man to check to see if the cable is stretched? What is the correction if that is the issue? Am I clear in understanding you that the shifter issue I have is in no way affecting the performance of the transmission itself? I need clarity on that point.

Yes the shifter will not effect the shifting of the transmission on this particular vehicle. As far as the cable it will be hard to check in the vehicle but sometimes simply adjusting the cable will help but if not it will need to be replaced.