Marty, European Car Expert
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.

Jaguar XK8 Conv: Yes, I have a 97 XK8 Convertable too (49,090

Yes, I have a '97 XK8 Convertable too (49,090 miles). Yes, same transmission front drum issue. Estimate $1990. However, Aamco says no warranty and suggests biting the bullit by spending $3500 for more complete overhaul including warranty for 2 years. What is the wise thing to do?

eurotec :

Hi, I have repaired dozens of these with only a front drum replacement with no issues. With only 49,000 miles I would replace the front drum only. Aamco should at least warranty the work that they perform but not the entire transmission. They should warranty the front A drum and the front seal for leakage and that's about all. If they will not even warranty the work that they do I would take the car to a Jaguar specialist or a transmission specialist who is familiar with the A drum failure and who will make the repair for you. I've never had a problem replacing only the A drum on a low mileage transmission. The $1990 price to replace the A drum should also include a fluid and filter change. The price is reasonable for an A drum replacement with fluid and filter.