Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

Jaguar X Type 2.2d: flashing glow plug warning

Customer Question

I keep getting a flashing glow plug warning light and the 'limp home' mode on my X-Type 2.2d. It started a few months ago and has gradually become more and more often. At first I thought it was triggered by demanding plenty of fuel - hard acceleration/high speed. But the other day, 'limp home' kicked in whilst I was creeping forward in a huge queue of traffic. I've heard horror stories of main dealers replacing part after part trying to fix this. There is no smoke coming from the exhaust.

The only thing I have noticed is the car seems to have random flat spots or lack of response on the accelerator pedal. By random, I mean the flat spots seem to move around in the rev range.

Do you have any advice?

Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello

as you've got the flashing glow plug this is the diesel equivalent of the 'check engine ' light then the quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.
however from your description this could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.

If the connections to this are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,
Ideally measure the pressure at the inlet to the main engine fuel pump and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

If both of these are OK then also check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to have the boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check that the turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly

If its a variable vane turbo (they’ll be an actuator on the turbo body - but not a wastegate) then check its vacuum pipework as above and check the connections to the diaphragm / solenoid valve

Also worth checking that the glow-plug relay is switching off as they can stick on and leave the glow plugs also on - on some cars this can force it into limp home

Also worth considering a bottle of injector cleaner into the tank as a clogged injector nozzle will reduce power and give poor combustion - the next stage on from this is to remove all the injectors and have them ultrasonically cleaned and flow checked

Also check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.

If the above are all OK then try checking for airleaks after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and leans the engine out causing rough running. As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometime hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running.

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.
Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

Might also be worth checking the wiring and connector to the airflow meter for any signs of corrosion or damage. you can do a quick fault find if you unplug the meter and run the engine without it.
if the engine condition is the same then chances are the meter or the connection to it is faulty

I'd also suggest inspecting the throttle pedal sensor for corroded contacts and damaged wiring

and finally its worth doing a compression test on all cylinders just to ensure the that the base engine is OK
Matt, Engineer
Experience: Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your thorough reply. I will follow your suggestions. Thought I should also tell you the engine management light came on the other day and wouldn't clear - the car running as normall. However, the following day it went out.

Should I try to take my car to the Main Dealers when the glowplug light is flashing to aid their diagnosis?

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello Gary

if you're going to use the garage for the repairs then yes it will help them to have the fault ' active' as it were so with the glow -plug light flashing