Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.

Jaguar S-Type: warning light (amber) came on with message gearbox

warning light (amber) came on with message 'gearbox fault'. Pulled over, switched off and removed key. tried restart and everything seemed o.k.. Later in journey light came on again but this time I was in a dangerous place and couldn't stop. Then the car decided to stop for me. The engine died and all warning lights came on. I managed to start the car and move to a place of safety. I stopped the engine, removed the key and waited 10mins. I restarted the car and all seemed ok so I engaged 5th in manual and drove home inside lane at 50mph

Hello and welcome to

We may have an electrical or mechanical problem with the transmission but it could also be another module like the J gate shifter. To be sure we need to hook up a Jag factory tool to read all the stored fault codes in the system. We can try a generic CAN OBD II scan tool available at most major parts stores and use this tool to scan for codes. This tool is limited to the ECM (Engine Control Module) and will not read codes from the TCM but it is worth a try. Let me know.