Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.

Jaguar XK8 Convertible: Im interested in a 2001 XK8 convertible.

I'm interested in a 2001 XK8 convertible. I've seen the car only online. It has 13,000 original miles, being owned by a politician who owns several sports cars. The car is in immaculate condition. The asking price is $19,989. Is there anything specific issues I should be concerned with?
Ron Parke

Hello and welcome to

Overall the 2001 XK is a solid vehicle but did have some issues that you should be concerned about. The one concern I would have is the engine. On the early V8 engines they had issues with timing chain tensioners. The plastic tensioners can fail causing the timing chain to jump and even break. You need to listen to any abnormal engine noise on a cold start. The cam covers need to be removed to inspect this. The cost for a complete chain job could be between $2500-$3500. Next pay close attention to how the transmission is shifting as the 1997-2002 had some trans problems. Some other costly high mileage failures are the ABS control module and the electronic throttle units causing fault warnings to come on. Also since this vehicle is a convertible the rear top lift pistons and hydraulics lines in the front develop leaks. I know this sounds like a lot but it really all depends on how the vehicle was maintained and the mileage on it. If you have any other questions or concerns please let me know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So, if the 13,000 miles is correct, what's the possibilities of engine or transmission problems? Also, is there an issue with the low mileage - the car not being driven regularly?

Usually I do not see these issues on low mileage vehicles but I just wanted you to be aware of some failures you may encounter. If this vehicle is not a daily driver you should enjoy many years of trouble free driving. The only issue that may come up is with the fuel system as some times injectors and regulators can fail if the vehicle tends to sit with old fuel in the tank.