Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

My Jaguar S-Type R 2004, is now having Supercharger problems,

My Jaguar S-Type R 2004, is now having Supercharger problems, the bid* to repair it is about $4,100. dollars to repair the car, due to a bad bearings. the engine as well?Is this bearings need replacing for even more cost? Or when we remove the supercharger is there going to be even more charges due to poor mechanic's handling, or the bad bearings problem? Is it possible to put it into a pep boy mechanic or other *Import auto clinic, Anaheim, CA. other then a Jaguar authorized person to do this kind of work? technical a back grown? need to check for personel, to do this job correctly? What questions should I ask to qualify the repair agent, and how much repair should I authorize with this nocking in the engine. The car is worth about $7,10K once it gets opened it becomes parts - How do I negotiate a reasonable deal in this care 85,000 miles on this, and the suspension need work at $2325. According to the *bid?
Hello and welcome back to justanswer.com

Did the dealer say the supercharger needed to be replaced? What kind of problem were you having?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Bid from "Import auto clinic" is recommended service: Supercharger needs replacement. Bad Bearings. 4151.00

clicking: Supercharge bearings are going bad - Supercharge needs replacement. per my 129.00 estimate from this company.

Same company recommends suspenion service for $2325.00

also rear brakes $571. and a bleeder screw.$175.

I received a second opinion from a local service station mechanic for $10,000. to replace the engine and supercharger due to this clicking in idle. I had them check the belts and there were some cracking, and they suggested $90. placements. However, these numbers are far apart and very expensive for a $7-12K trade-in value. How do I control the expense through contract and who do I trust in this evaluation? Should I pay some more for the dealer to evaluate the evaluations? Hank

Ok these estimates are not consistent. One says supercharger only and the other says engine. What needs to be done is run the vehicle with the supercharger belt removed to see if the noise is still present. I actually would recommend going to your local dealer and having then check for a noise. Then we can take their estimate and compare it to the ones you already received. Let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The Tech claims the removal of the belts, and the checking of the clicking is done with almost the same accuracy with the stethoscope - that the clicking definitely was coming from a bearing that is failing. The dealer claimed this is how they check the knocking of bad bearings in the shop. Shop manager pointed out that the last time stopped in less then 3,000 miles ago I had the supercharger oil seals and alignment completed. Is it possible the mechanic did not do their job correctly it cost me $278 to have this done? What do you think am I within my rights to ask for a inspection for free? Checkout with 88233 miles to now 90512 miles and the supercharger is on the nocking?

The supercharger usually does not require any servicing. It is possible the damage can be the result of the work performed. Unfortunately there will be no way to tell until yours is taken apart.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Under your direction, I am taking this into the Anaheim hill's Jag & Rover service tomorrow morning to have another $130. Check up, however, they were the ones who supposedly fixed and aligned the supercharger three months ago and 2500 miles previously. I hope we are not throughing my money away on incompetence. Should I ask any questions or say nothing and let them explain what is wrong? This is very perplexing.What should I be expecting or how do I judge the service at this dealership?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
,

Under your direction, I am taking this into the Anaheim hill's Jag & Rover service tomorrow morning to have another $130. Check up, however, they were the ones who supposedly fixed and aligned the supercharger three months ago and 2500 miles previously.  I hope we are not throughing my money away on incompetence. Should I ask any questions or say nothing and let them explain what is wrong?  This is very perplexing.What should I be expecting or how do I judge the service at this dealership?

I would just go in there saying that you were st a shop who told you the supercharger and possibly the engine need to be replaced. Also tell them the shop told you to go back to the dealer because they were the ones that just worked on the supercharger. Have them explain what your vehicle needs and why. Also have them explain that previous repair.

Let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Richard - I had the dealer look in the car yesterday - he claims he did not make any adjustments to the supercharger only recommended that it be aligned and oil seal checked - However, his recommendation is to replace the motor and that the sound was coming from the lower rear of the motor and not the supercharger - at this point I have spent about $250. To find out that all three shops cannot agree exactly what is wrong with the clacking sound in the motor - Just that it could cost from 3000 for the repair of the supercharger to 14,000 to replace the motor and that blue book values the Jag at 7-12,000 for sale. What lastly do you believe? Hank.

It does sound like the problem is internal in the engine and not the supercharger. I am confused as to why none of the shops tried removing the supercharger belt to see if the noise is still present. If they did this and the noise is still heard then we know it is not the charger but the engine.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Per your suggestion I will insist that they do what you are are asking to comfirm the noise in the engine. I will report back as to the results - do you have any idea's what I do if it is the engine?

If it is the engine the repair is very costly. Your best option would be to have a used engine installed or try to sell your vehicle as is.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Richard, thank you. your advise was helpful in making a incorrect choice as to action - The supercharger recommendation from the 2nd evaluation has recanted their bid and agreed that the motor is the problem after removing the belts as you had suggested. the have made a bid to buy the enclosed engine and replace the motor and supercharger for about $7500+

2004 JAGUAR S TYPE EngineMore JAGUAR PARTS

Item #: 314347
Our Price: $6,599.99
Quantity:

More Less

*

UPS LogoFree Shipping

however I am a little dubious after their first prediction. The dealer however wants $14,000. for a NEW instalation.

I am not sure what to do the suspenion is in need of repair as well and at 86000 miles even with a newer engine additional repairs might be coming unforseen - You have been good council and I will give you a excellent rating. What do you recommend for a blue book that tops at about $12,000 rating?Smile