Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

1998 XJ8: ran hotwire and by-passed switch, proved starter worked.

Customer Question

1998 XJ8 Jaguar. Will not start. Ran hotwire and by-passed switch, proved starter worked. Now need to know where to hook up to coil to prove if switch is problem.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

Ok so the engine will not crank at all? Will the shifter release from park with the ignition ON and foot on the brake? If so will the engine start in neutral?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Richard,

Sorry for the delay I am working today.

I HAVE THE CAR IN NEUTRAL AND VIA A HOT WIRE DIRECT FROM THE BATTERY TO THE STARTER I CAN MAKE THE MOTOR TURN OVER. I HAVE THE IGNITION KEY ON AND IT SHOULD START BASED PAST PERFORMANCE.

I AM CERTAIN I AM NOT GETTING FIRE TO THE SPARK PLUGS. I SPRAYED STARTING FLUID DOWN THE AIR IN-TAKE AND NEVER GOT ONE HINT OF A CYLINDER FIRING.

FYI, THE PROBLEM STARTED IN FEBUARY.

I INSTALLED A NEW BATTERY THAT WAS THE SAME CRANKING AMPS. THE CAR STARTED ONCE, JUST PERFECT. I TURNED IT OFF AND CLEANED UP SOME TOOLS ETC AND WHE I WENT TO START IT AGAIN IT THE SOLENOID WENT CLICK..

I LET IT SET FOR A FEW WEEKS AND RAN THE HOT WIRE. I AM NOT CERTAIN WHEN THE PLUGS QUIT FIRING OR IF IT IS RELATED TO SOMETIHNG ELSE.

THE SWITCH I LOOKED AT BUYING(238.00 AFTER DISCOUNT) DOES NOT COME WITH KEYS. EACH IF THESE HAVE TO BE PROGRAMMED I THINK.

IS THERE WAY TO PUT 12 VOLTS TO THE OUTBOUND SIDE OF THE IGNITION BY JUMPING SOMETHING UNDER THE HOOD? THIS IS TO TEST THE SYSTEM AND SEE WHAT PARTS I REALLY NEDTO REPLACE IF NOT THE SWITCH.

THANKS,

GARY JERDEE

XXX-XXX-XXXX CEL,

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
I think we have a problem with the security system. The system will prevent the starter from engaging as well as cut the fuel injection and ignition. There really is no way to bypass this as there are more than one control module for the security. On the 98s I see issues with the transponder around the ignition cylinder that reads the key code. Of course only a Jag factory tool can perform any testing or programming on the security like most other manufacturers. It could even be a problem with the ECM itself but I am leaning more towards a security/immobilizer problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Richard,

I understand that a security module could exhibit the problems i am having. I got a quote of $1,200 from the dealer to change the ignition

switch. IF thats the problem. Towing is $150. Is there a Chilton's or other detailed manual that helps troubleshoots this problem area. The car is only worth about 5 grand. I understand circuts, I just need to know what to look for. If you can answer affirmative I will close us out.

Thanks,

Gary

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Do you have a digital multimeter to perform testing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Richard,

Yes I do. I got an AAS in industrial electronics many moons ago. 3.96 GPA. Problem is all the hardware has changed. Appreciate anything you can do to help me zero in on this problem. I love this car. Black with Tan Interior. Up until this problem its been problem free for the most part. Just can't justify the dealer rates until I exhaust my efforts. Appreciate your help. Gary

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Ok I will look back into the wiring diagram and post a test.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Richard,

If I can start it I can run it to the dealer for the computer test. I want to narrow down the component that has the highest odds of being the culprit by process of elimination.

I really appreciate your expertise and willingness to help.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome. Let me send over some tests. I will do so when I get back to the shop.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

We need to do some testing at the body processor module. This can be tricky since there is one big connector held on by a 10mm bolt. Also the glove box needs to be removed to remove the module. Also the module is case grounded meaning it is grounded through the securing nuts. A jumper wire needs to be run from the module stud to the bracket. Also the cover for the connector needs to be removed to probe the wiring. First go to pin 80 brown/black and make sure we have battery voltage. Go to pin 41 red/white and make sure we have a ground when the key is turned to the crank position. Then make sure we have a ground on pin 7 red/blue wire. If all are present then it is most likely a security problem and the dealer will need to reprogram/reset with the factory tool. Also go to pin 73 green/orange and jump it to a ground to see if the engine cranks. Click on the link for a pin out diagram.

Module