Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

jaguar xj8: my gearbox fault light..car drives..auto transmission

my gearbox fault light has come on and car drives slow my car is a jaguar xj8 3.2 auto transmission
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome back to justanswer.com

Does the engine rev up then bang into gear when accelerating from a stop or engaging reverse or drive? Any other warning lights or messages on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the engine revs up and bangs into gear but then wont accelerate very sluggish,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The car has been fine and never had any probems before this, on this xj8 am i able to fill up the transmission fluid level? I have read if i disconnect the battery that it might reset the computer management system as the car is in limp mode
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
When the gearbox fault warning comes on the TCM (Transmission Control Module) has detected an electrical or mechanical fault. Since that warning is on there will be fault codes stored in the TCM that need to be read with a compatible scan tool. The usual failure of the transmission is a burnt or cracked forward drum/clutch. What usually happens is the engine will rev up then bang into gear when accelerating from a stop. Since the gearbox fault light is on the code logged is most likely a P1722 for stall speed. In this case the transmission will need to be rebuilt or replaced. This is the weak area of this ZF transmission. The electronics are solid. Of course I can only give you what I see and we will need the fault codes to properly diagnose the problem. Let me know if you have any further question or concerns. We should check the fluid level and condition but it is not usually that simple of a repair. Since there is no dipstick the fluid cannot be checked easily. You will need to get your vehicle on a level surface or four post lift. Start the engine, go through each gear and warm the fluid to about 40 degrees C. There is a level/fill plug on the passenger side rear of the trans case. Remove the 8mm hex/allen plug and fluid should flow out with the engine running and fluid warmed to temp. If it does not flow out then the fluid needs to be filled through that hole.
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience: 12 years at a Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.