Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

X-Type: sport..knocking..shocks or suspension bushes, a friend

Customer Question

Hi
I don't know whether you can help? I have recently bought a second hand X-Type 2.5 sport on a 2002. I have some knocking noises coming from the rear end which I suspect is either shocks or suspension bushes, a friend of mine said that he thought that the X-Type suffers from bush wear! Any suggestions? Also, I have what sounds like a wheel bearing rumble starting at around 50mph. Is that likely, or could it be diff wear? the car has done 152.000 miles approx.

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to offer

Kind Regards

Ken
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

Noises can be difficult to diagnose through the computer but I can tell you that you should check the rear anti roll bar bushings and links to see if there is excessive movement. Next check the short trailing arm in the lower suspension to see if that bushing is loose. Lastly we can check the shock bushing as well and see if the shocks are leaking.

As far as the rumble do you hear this in the front or rear?
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience: 12 years at a Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry, I forgot to tell you that it is at the rear. Whilst Iv'e got you on line, is it normal for the power steering pump to weeer a little, or is that wear or belt too tight maybe??
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Ok the rumble could possibly be the rear differential. First we should check the tires to make sure there is no abnormal wear pattern then check the wheel hub/bearing for any movement.

As far as the power steering usually the pump will just fail as they do not really wear out. What exactly is the problem with the steering.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The pump is making a weeering noise which increases and decreases with engine speed
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
The noise usually does not effect the steering assist but it does sound like the pump will need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so much for your advise
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome.