Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

2000 S type Fail safe engine mode

2000 S type Fail safe engine mode
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

Does the engine light also come on?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It did 1 time, the message pops up & then goes away some time for a min. or 2 most of the time 10 to 15 sec at a time then goes back off, it seams like the harder you run it the less it comes on! hope that helps you!

Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
When the failsafe warning comes on the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) has detected a fault and may go into this limp mode. Since the warning message came on there will be fault codes logged in the PCM that will need to be read with a scan tool. You will need to visit a Jag specialist or dealer to have these codes read but first go to your local parts store like pepboys or autozone as they will scan it for you at no charge. Once you have the fault code numbers let me know what they are. On your vehicle I see issues with the electronic throttle, accelerator pedal as well as the brake switch causing this. The code will be a P followed by four digits like P1584 as an example.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Our mechanic has a scaner on our scaner it would not read the codes do you think autozone or pepboys will are do you think this is dealler only?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
I would like to try another scan tool but if not then the dealer or Euro specialist is your next option.