Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.

2000 XK8 codes P1316, P0300 and P1000 car runs rough

Hello and welcome back to

First we need to remove all the coils to see if there are any signs of water or oil on them. Then remove the plugs to see if they are fouled. Next we should install a fuel pressure gauge and install that to the injector rail. Does the vehicle miss at all times?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The owner of the car said he put new plugs in before he brought it in to us. Does not seem like an electrical miss, just mix or possibly a varible cam timing unit?

Makes no difference when we remove the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator.

engine will pick up speed when we remove the lead to the water temp sensor, does not really smooth out though. We will try checking the actual fuel pressure in the rail.

I am wondering if possibly the secondary chain tensioner failed and the chain jumped a tooth. When this happenings the exhaust cam is off. Since the exhaust cam is not monitored it will not flag a cam code. Also check the windows in the flywheel reluctor that the crank sensor reads. If there is any damage with those it can also cause this.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We pulled right hand cam cover and found bits of plastic laying in the timing chest. Something went south. I fear the owner is not going to have this repaired as the cost is equal to the price of the car at this point.
Yeah that is not an easy job to sell. Let me know.