JagDoc
JagDoc, European Shop Owner
Experience:  20 years of experience working with Jaguars. Independent European shop owner and technician.

How long should it take a replaced catalytic converter on a

How long should it take a replaced catalytic converter on a Jaguar xj6-2006. To kick in or pass a Delaware emissions inspection
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  JagDoc replied 2 years ago.

JagDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

JagDoc :

is there currently a check engine light on indicating a converter fault, or are you having a problem because the readiness monitors aren't set yet?

JagDoc :

if you're unable to use the live chat, I will convert this to email format shortly

JagDoc :

when I do change it, it will prompt you to accept an answer

JagDoc :

please do not until we have been able to discuss the problem a bit more

Expert:  JagDoc replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No check engine light on, Just won't pass Delaware emission. Test
Expert:  JagDoc replied 2 years ago.
Ok, and has the inspection station told you why it won't pass, or printed out a report?
Is it because there are some readiness monitors still in a "not ready" state?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
haen' gotten an answer yet. I am on an iPad does that make a difference? Let me check the report. I don 't know about readiness monitors. Be right back
Expert:  JagDoc replied 2 years ago.
correct, no answer yet because I'm still gathering information. Yes, please let me know what is written on the report, related to why the car will not pass.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OBD2 readiness criteria not met.
Evap system not ready
Q2 sensor not ready
Expert:  JagDoc replied 2 years ago.
Ok, so this doesn't have anything to do with the recently replaced catalytic converter.

Here is what happens when a check engine fault is repaired, and the light is turned off:
When the light is reset, it also erases a lot of computer memory, and resets a series of monitors back to a "not ready" state. Then over the course of driving, the engine computer will run a bunch of self-checks on various control systems in the engine. EVAP, and O2 (oxygen) sensors are two of these monitors.

I will post the drive-cycle necessary to get these monitors to set.

HEATED OXYGEN SENSORS MONITOR DRIVE CYCLE

Upstream (Universal) oxygen sensors:

1. Engine OFF; cooling fans inoperative > 20 seconds.
  2. Start engine and bring to normal operating temperature > 82 degree C (180 degree F) .
  3. Drive the vehicle between 3000 - 4000 rpm in 3rd gear at a steady speed. Lift foot completely off accelerator and coast to a stop within 30 seconds . Do not touch accelerator pedal for 4 seconds after coming to a stop.
  4. Repeat step 3.
  5. Idle engine for 11 minutes .

Downstream oxygen sensors:

1. Start engine and bring to normal operating temperature > 82 degree C (180 degree F) .
  2. Drive the vehicle steadily between 48 - 97 km/h (30 - 60 mph) for 10 minutes .
  3. Drive the vehicle above 3000 rpm in 3rd gear at a steady speed. Lift foot completely off accelerator and coast for 30 seconds .

Oxygen sensor heaters:

2. Idle engine for 3 minutes .

The EVAP monitor drive cycle is a bit more involved, but please disregard the passages in my post related to the WDS system, since I'm sure this is not a tool that you have.

EVAPORATIVE SYSTEM MONITOR DRIVE CYCLE

1. Ensure that fuel filler cap is fully closed (minimum three clicks).
  2. Fuel level > 30% and < 85%.
  3. Using WDS, perform ECM DTC Clear (even if no DTCs are flagged).
  4. Drive vehicle for a minimum of 2 minutes , and until engine is at normal operating temperature.
  5. Using WDS, ensure that the EVAP Canister Purge Valve is operating by observing PURGE VAPOR MANAGEMENT VALVE - DUTY CYCLE . If the valve is not active, ECM adaptions have not been learned. Conduct a green ECM Drive Cycle as described in Technical Service Bulletin.
  6. Drive vehicle to the road where the EVAP System Drive Cycle will be conducted. Stop vehicle and switch OFF the ignition. Leave ignition OFF for 30 seconds , and then restart the engine.
  7. Accelerate briskly to 80 km/h (50 mph) ensuring that the engine speed reaches a minimum of 3500 rpm for a minimum of 5 seconds .
  8. (0.040-inch EVAP Test) View WDS PURGE VAPOR MANAGEMENT VALVE - DUTY CYCLE, CANISTER CLOSE VALVE - VAPOR RECOVERY SYSTEM, and FUEL TANK PRESSURE - VAPOR RECOVERY SYSTEM . Avoiding high engine loads, drive the vehicle steadily between 65 km/h (40 mph) and 100 km/h (60 mph) . Avoid driving conditions that will produce excessive fuel movement. WDS should give an indication that the test is active (it may take up to 30 minutes before the test will initialize). When the test has initialized (EVAP Canister Close Valve CLOSED), it will take approximately 90 seconds for the test to complete.
  9. (0.020-inch EVAP Test) Continue driving vehicle as explained in Step 8 for an additional 10 minutes .
  10. Gently coast the vehicle to a stop. Allow the engine to idle for 2 minutes and view WDS PURGE VAPOR MANAGEMENT VALVE - DUTY CYCLE, CANISTER CLOSE VALVE - VAPOR RECOVERY SYSTEM, and FUEL TANK PRESSURE - VAPOR RECOVERY SYSTEM . WDS should give an indication that the test is active. When the test has initialized (EVAP Canister Close Valve CLOSED), it will take approximately 90 seconds for the test to complete.
  11. If the 0.020-inch EVAP Test is not activated, the purge system vapor concentration may be too great. To reduce the vapor concentration proceed as follows:
  12. Drive the vehicle for an additional 30 minutes avoiding driving conditions that will produce excessive fuel movement. Repeat Step 10. If the 0.020-inch EVAP Test is still not activated, repeat the Drive Cycle from Step 6.
  13. Using WDS, check for and clear flagged DTCs.
JagDoc, European Shop Owner
Experience: 20 years of experience working with Jaguars. Independent European shop owner and technician.