Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

Jaguar XJ8: how do I reset the valet mode on a 04 Jaguar XJ8?

how do I reset the valet mode on a 04 Jaguar XJ8? The keyless entry device is not programed and I don't have a "valet cut Key".
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

The only way to get out of valet is to use a black or switch blade key and open the trunk. If the trunk lock cylinder is not turning then try lubricating it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
can I disconnect the positive battery post cable under the hood, then re-connect? will that work? Don't know what a "sling blade" is or how to manipulate it to pop the trunk
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No disconnecting that cable will not get out of valet. The switch blade style key is the one that has the remote.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The problem with the switchblade key is it's not the original and has not been cut or programmed. The original has been miss-placed so we got the switch blade remote key off of ebay, which would be fine if there were a dealer close by that could program and cut the key (I'm in Murrells Inlet SC, closest dealer is in Charleston, SC 1 1/2 away) The key I have works the doors and ignition, should it still open the trunk from that rear key hole?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
If the key is green then this is a Valet key and will not work the trunk. If it is a black key it should. We can also try reprogramming the remote. Go inside and place the key in the ignition. Hold the high beam stalk towards you then turn the ignition to position 1. Flash the high beams four times and you should hear a confirmation chirp. Hit any button on the remote and you should hear a chirp. Turn the ignition off and the remote should be programmed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well after further review, the key that I have is green and even says valet on it. I will do everything I can to have my friend search his 91 year old fathers house for the "other" key. He's the one we actually bought it from. Is there any other solution you can think of?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
You can have the dealer cut you a key and ship it to you. All they need is your VIN and proof of insurance.
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience: 12 years at a Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.