Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

Jaguar X Type: My X type jaguar goes in to limp mode I have

Customer Question

My X type jaguar goes in to limp mode I have replaced the throttle body and pedel sensor but it hasnt fixed the problem. Seems to happen when it is damp. Have fixed any water leaks through the cabin filter that may lodge on the transmission module. Could the ABS wheel sensors cause it if the connections become wet. I have spent big dollars trying to find the problem. Would need to fix problem before I pay any more.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

What warning lights/messages come on? Did you have the vehicle scanned for the stored fault codes? Did you remove the TCM to inspect it? Is this left hand or right hand drive import?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No warning lights just the limp mode light. Yes the codes indicated Throttle body and pedel sensor which I replaced. Will need to scan again to see what codes are there now. Hope to do that tomorrow. Yes the TCM was visually inspected and cleaned after any water leak was stopped. Right hand drive.
Thanks Richard
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Ok see if you can get me all the codes numbers. We may have a wiring problem causing this as the throttle and pedal both share a common reference voltage and ground from the ECU. This also goes to some other sensors which is why I was asking for the code numbers.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok Richard. I will get the car scanned. Hopefully I can drive it up to the workshop. Have been thinking about the earths. Will be in contact as it is getting late here and I think it is time for bed. Talk when I have some more info.
Thanks
Kevin
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Ok sounds good.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Whats the process for continuing this tomorrow.
Kevin
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Just reply back to this page as the question will stay open.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Good morning Richard
I have had the car scanned and come up with the following codes: P0122 - P0222 - P1122
P1582 - These say PERMINENT
P1215 - Historic These codes all came up before and I replaced the Throttle Body and Pedal Sensor. I drove about 90Km today and nothing showed up.
Another code I havnt seen before also came up: P1573 from the Transmission module:
CAN throttle angle error.
What worries me is that it seems to occcur more when it is wet or damp even though it has happened when it is dry.
Thanks Kevin
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Those codes are for low voltage to the throttle and pedal. Go to the orange/yellow wire and see if we have a 5 volt signal.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. I will get this checked out and get back to you. Its not that simple though as I will need to take the car to my mechanic. If it is low voltage due to something on this wire would it show low voltage all the time or only when it goes into limp mode. I am thinking that maybe some oxide buildup on a connection/connections that react to the dampness.
See how we go
Be in contact
Thanks Kevin.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Go in the passenger front wheel well and look to see if the a/c pressure switch is close to the body as if the 5 volt wire shorts out you will get this problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry to be so long winded in answering your reply as I was not on the computer last night. We know it would be under 5 volts when it goes into limp mode because the codes indicate this. What I am trying to find out is what is causing the low voltage or voltage drop.
You can usually get the car out of limp mode by restarting the engine after a while. Havnt checked the voltage reading as yet but I think it will read 5 volts. Will investigate the a/c pressure switch ( is it in the area of the transmission module ) and get back to you
Thanks
Kevin
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
The a/c pressure switch is located in the right hand side wheel arch behind the arch liner. If the wire shorts out it will effect the reference voltage to the ECM.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was just about to send you another message to clarify where the a/c pressure switch was. As the car is right hand drive I was looking on the left side and around where the transmission module was. Was having no luck in finding the part so I was going to ask for more details. Now I know exactly where it is I will let you know how I go.
Thanks for the response
Kevin.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
The a/c pressure switch is located on the outside of your vehicle behind the wheel arch liner. If you look under the hood you will see the two a/c metal lines running from the corner into the wheel arch inner fender. The switch is on the line.
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience: 12 years at a Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Letting you know that we have found the problem. The YO wire had a bare patch in the insulation where it had been rubbing against the body. It was carrying the 5 volts and I insulated the wires and zip clipped the pipe in to a better position. Thank you for your help. You can have all the technical equipment in the world but nothing beats practical experience. I have just finished cleaning my cars for our Tasmanian Jaguar Concours tomorrow and I will now be able to take the X Type and my 2.4 8 bar grill MK1. My wife can drive the X Type now as I am confident that we have solved the problem. Thank you for your valued assistance.
Kevin.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Got your return email
Payed with pleasure
Thanks Again
Kevin
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
An update on completion. I won a silver for the MK1 and my wife won gold with the X Type.
Have given your details to others in the club. Hope you get some enquiries
Kevin.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Wow that's good news. Congrats.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks
Whoroo for now Mate ( An Aussie Good by )
Kevin.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
OK Cheers.