Anthony
Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp. in this field.

estimate to replace a radiator and flywheel on a 2002 jaguar 2.5?

Customer Question

What would be the estimate to replace a radiator and flywheel on a 2002 jaguar 2.5?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Anthony replied 2 years ago.
Hello! Welcome to justanswer!

Do you mean you need a clutch and flywheel plus the radiator?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Here's what happened. Yesterday, my Jag's radiator read full hot and the light went on. I puled over and turned off the car. After it cooled off, i went into a gas station and put in coolant and added oil too, just in case. After I drove for about 4 miles, the temp gauge redlined again. I pulled over, waited, after about 1/2 hour started up and drove about 4 more mile to my service station.

He estimates $1,200 to replace radiator, theromstat and flywheel. He said the radiator was leaking, the thermo was shot.

On the flywheel issue, the car has been having some trouble starting, which he said was attributed to a shot flywheel. He said that its an inexpensive part, but labor intensive (he said you have to take out the transmission to change.

Sound right??
Expert:  Anthony replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

That estimate is very good. The actual time is almost double that than he's charging.
Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp. in this field.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just want to know whether you think what he's suggesting is the right process
Expert:  Anthony replied 2 years ago.
Are the teeth missing from the flywheel. I've never seen one go bad.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Don't know. He says that the "shot" flywheel is what is causing the car to have problems starting. I just wanted to make sure that trouble starting is a symptom of a bad flywheel
Expert:  Anthony replied 2 years ago.
Have you been replacing starters more than once and still have the starting problem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Never replaced the starter at all. Have over 120,000 miles on the car. The starting problem is not that it won't ignight, just that it won't turnover. WHen u turn the key, you hear like a "akkkkk'
Expert:  Anthony replied 2 years ago.
Sounds like you need a second opinion. The price is too cheap and the symptom is wrong. It could need a flywheel but Ive never seen one go bad on your exact engine for that reason.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks!!
Expert:  Anthony replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. But there still is the chance the flywheel is bad. However I just do not believe it. So have it checked again.