Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing

Jaguar XJ8: where is the transmission fluid dipstick on the

Customer Question

where is the transmission fluid dipstick on the 2004 jaguar xj8? i recently bought the car used with 80,00 miles and it has a transmission problem. it runs fine most of the time, but under hard acceleration it will sometimes fail to shift from 4th to 5th for a second and make a howling noise. one time it failed to shift and went into limp mode with a transmission fault light on. when i started the car later, light was out and working ok again.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.

I'm afraid that there is no dipstick for the transmission on these

just a fill plug on the side, and the level is set by adding fluid when the transmission is at the right temperature

sorry to say the next step is to get the car plugged into a diagnostic tool to see what fault codes are present and use that to top up the oil
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
On the side as in under the hood or under the car? Are these trannys known to be unreliable? Are they British or German? I've never heard of a transmission fault light. Does that mean you have to reprogram the computer like the Mercedes pieces of shit?
Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.

the plug is on the side of the transmission, generally they give no issues but there was recall in April 2004: Recall because 6-speed automatic can slip into reverse at high speed due to computer software problem - so ensure this has been carried out

I'm pretty sure its a ZF transmission but with Jaguar controls so there is a transmission controller that will need plugging into to point towards the fault